Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The difference is in the Hardware

So GT5 felt 'OK' for me in regards to gameplay accompanied with the Logitech G27. However, the table I was using for the steering wheel hardware was not what you would call 'fit' for gaming, let me give you a description of my previous setup:

  • Fold-able table - had to use the table via it's shorter side towards me because the space between the table legs when using the longer side could not fit the G27 pedals.
  • Thick magazines, a 600+ page novel and an internal DVD drive was used as weight for the table to keep it balanced. The problem with using the table via it's shorter side facing you is that there is no balance if you place a 2kg wheel on one side and nothing else on the other. Now the steering wheel vibrates according to the type of road you are on and where you are on the road, do you see where I am going with this? Constant vibrations from the wheel, especially if you are on a rally track, causes the weight items to move - and in worse case scenarios, fall. That's right, the weight will  fall. The end result:

    Table loses it's balance causing the player to lose control. The game has to be paused and the weight items picked up from the floor and put back to use on the table. This ruins your rank position in the game - which pretty much sums up why I stopped playing.

  • The gear stick mechanism does not clamp properly onto the table as the table's base isn't thick enough to clamp on to. How did I manage then you ask? I got a magazine, folded it, and wedged it in between the clamp of the gear stick and the table - resolved the issue for non aggressive gear changing people.
  • Used my computer chair, which had wheels but did not have lock mechanisms to stop the chair from moving while playing the game.
Enter the NEXT LEVEL GTxtreme V2 Racing Simulator / Cockpit.
Yeah that's right - GTxtreme. I originally ordered the GTPro, which was the cheaper version of the racing cockpit Pagnian Imports sells. However I received the GTxtreme, the better and more expensive version x10000 smiley faces!
GTxtreme Baby!

Logitech G27 Steering Wheel

Gear changing and pedals

Yes that is an Optimus Prime figurine in the background.


Difference in the two models? The chair, and of-course, the logos on the product - I'll leave it at that with the changes and just brag about how much better the game is now I am using something that doesn't have weight constantly falling off and ruining my GT5 life.

Assembling the hardware was quite simple, I had an issue with 2 screws which are impossible to screw in due to the steering wheel support parts. This does not cause an issue with its stability or safety though - the steering wheel support parts screwed it make the 2 screw positions on the cockpit redundant.

Anyway so now GT5 is just awesome, I don't need to worry about shit falling off or the chair moving out of place or the gear stick device losing it's position. Almost takes out the frustration created from in game mechanics and the stupid AI. The difference is in the hardware son.

No comments: